Thursday, July 17, 2014

What's Happened So Far with EMDR

If you follow my blog, you might have stopped because I haven't posted in such a long time. Or, maybe you've wondered what has happened since I started EMDR therapy. Well, I'll catch you up.

EMDR has helped me bring out a lot of things that could potentially be causes for my anxiety. I've been able to discuss some of my deepest fears, my sadness, and found grief I didn't even know existed. As I promised myself from the start, I've been completely honest with my therapist, which I haven't always been in the past. It's been a rough, rocky, tear-filled journey so far. In short, I hate it.
                                                                           
But, my panic attacks have subsided. That's the part that makes it worthwhile. Here's what isn't so pleasant. My generalized anxiety and depression have deepened. I've also gone through spells of intense anger, which my therapist says is normal as you go through EMDR.

In the midst of this, I've started a new job. I'm with the same company, but it's a new job, nonetheless. Probably not the best timing, but life happens and I've always been able to cope with life. It's a job I wanted, so I didn't want to turn it down. So, my general anxiety at work is very high. According to my therapist, it takes three to six months to adjust to a new job. I'm about six weeks in, so I'm looking forward to some of the anxiety dissipating in another six weeks or so. In the meantime, I'm using my bag of techniques from CBT-Meditation, grounding, affirmations, acceptance, yoga.

As I continue to work through, I'll keep you posted on how it's going. In the meantime, if you've had EMDR therapy, please let me know in the comments section. I'd like to hear your results. Thanks for reading and being patient when I take a break!


7 comments:

  1. Helen, I am so very happy you sound like this was perfect for you; although you have to go thru the rough patches, you are on road to healing....how awesome!! I have a book I am reading and would love to find a therapist i can work with. Please continue to update, and so happy for the new job and positive changes in your life...sending my positive thoughts and prayers your way..Thank you for post....very encouraging!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. I want to find healing very badly, and will continue to update as to how this is going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got caught up on your blog and I'm glad you are still fighting the good fight. I'm happy that the new therapy is helping. On another note; everytime I try to comment on your blog I seem to have a hard time getting it done, but I am persistent if I ain't nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometime, you're going to pause in the middle of your work and realize it's become your routine. It's strange how anxiety can affect our emotions at work. Every semester of college, I went in just knowing I was going to fail one of my classes and kill my GPA. The fear seemed ungrounded, as I'd never failed any classes, but it was there until nearly my final semester. Now that I'm working as a substitute at a school I love, this is my third school year there, and it's the first year I was able to walk in to the building without feeling like I was going to get kicked out. There was no reason for me to fear failing at my job. I have a degree in elementary education, and am good friends with the majority of the staff. And yet, the anxiety returned often. By God's grace, however, this year the anxiety has been much more quiet. I took my first job of the year last week, and for the first time, I was able to start the school year feeling confident. (It was also a blessing in that I'm also quite morning sick right now, and I don't need any more stress than that's already causing...lol). Hopefully it's sooner or later, but sometime, you should get that feeling with your work. You'll walk in and realize it's just another day in your routine, and that will be a day to celebrate. Your anxiety over work is normal, but it shouldn't last forever. Keep posting when you can. We're cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BrittanyF,
      Thanks so much for this! I missed seeing this when you posted, and noticed I had a new comment when I (finally!) updated my blog today. And, you are exactly right. Work has become routine. I still have moments of anxiety, but they're fewer and fewer, and I even find myself looking forward to work instead of feeling anxious. Thanks for cheering me on! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

      Delete
  5. Eating disorders counselor Columbus Ohio I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read all the comments and suggestions posted by the visitors for this article are very fine,We will wait for your next article so only.Thanks! Best counselor

    ReplyDelete