Saturday, January 4, 2014

Grounding

Have you ever used a technique called "grounding" when you felt anxious? I learned about it when I was in the Clarity program that I mentioned in a previous blog. Grounding is a set of easy strategies that allow you to detach from emotional pain by focusing outward on the external world instead of inward towards yourself.  For me, it helps stop a panic attack from accelerating. It also stops me from ruminating or "catastrophising" when my thoughts start heading down their familiar, depressing paths.

Grounding gives you ways to detach yourself so that you can gain control over your thoughts and feelings. It anchors you to the present, to reality, and puts you at a healthy distance from the thoughts that create anxiety or depression. The best thing is that it's easy to do any time, any place, and no one can tell what you're doing. It also gives me immediate gratification by reducing anxiety or depression.

There are three ways of grounding: Mental, physical, and soothing. Mental works best for me, but I've described all three ways here so you can discover which is best for you. And, if you get bored easily, it's good to have options.

Mental grounding means focusing on your mind. Some ways to use mental grounding are:
~Describe your environment in great detail silently (or out loud if you're in a place where it's appropriate.) For example, "The walls are tan, there is a blue sofa with three red cushions, and a window with a green tree outside."
~Read something, saying each word deliberately. Or, say the letters of the words rather than reading the words.
~Count forward or backwards slowly, or say the alphabet.

Physical grounding is focusing on your senses. Some ideas for physical grounding are:
~Run warm or cold water over your hands. Focus on how the water feels on your skin.
~Grab tightly on to your chair as hard as you can. Concentrate on how the chair feels.
~Walk slowly, noticing each footstep and saying "left" or "right" with each step.

Soothing grounding is talking to yourself in a very kind way. To ground yourself with soothing you can:
~Say kind statements, either silently or out loud, almost as if you're talking to a child. For instance, "You're coping with this situation well," or, "You'll get through this because you're using all your tools correctly."
~Think of your list of favorites, like your favorite color, food, animal, season, book, or movie.
~ Remember the words to a comforting or inspiring song, poem, or quote.

Like anything else that's new, grounding takes a little practice. You can even practice when you're not feeling anxious or depressed, just to get in the habit. At first, try all the types of grounding to see if one is more effective than another. Since it's hard for me to remember things when anxiety or depression start to spiral, I also wrote down some grounding techniques on a card and keep it in my purse. And, just in case I don't have my purse, I put the same techniques on the notes app on my phone, since I never go anywhere without that! That way, if anxiety strikes, I'm prepared.

I hope this gives you a new tool to use if you start to feel anxiety or depression creeping up. Always remind yourself that anxiety and depression are feelings. They don't define who you are. And, if you keep using your tools, you will feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment